Friday, August 8, 2008

August, 9 2003 - 5 years gone by



Tomorrow, Becky and I will celebrate our five year anniversary. On August, 9th 2003 we tied the knot at Memorial UMC in Farmington, MO and then flew off to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico for our honeymoon. As you can tell from the pictures, we looked just a little bit different five years back!

A lot has changed, but my love for Becky has not.

A lot has changed:
  • May 10, 2005 Brylee Grace Durbin was born
  • March 5th, 2006 we planted The Bridge Community Church
  • May 6th, 2008 Halle Reese Durbin was born
  • I've moved from working for para-church organizations to the local church, and Becky is currently an ICU nurse
  • We've gone from living in a trailer to having a nice home for our family

A lot is changing:
  • Becky is back in college with hopes of becoming a Nurse Practitioner
  • I am STILL in college working towards a Master of Divinity
  • We are now raising two beautiful girls
  • I'm figuring out how to balance family, church, and music

A lot hasn't changed:
  • I still love Becky with my whole heart
  • I still smile when she talks in her sleep to random people
  • I still trust
  • We still serve Christ.

Now, let me let you in on a secret. When I proposed to Becky at Union University in Jackson, TN... I told her that I wanted to grow old with her. We even joked about playing shuffle board in FL. I still want to grow old with her, but I have no desire to move to FL, retire, and play shuffle board. We have no interest in ever retiring from the ministry of God. When we pass, we want to be able to say that we gave it all for God. We understand now that the harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. And we want to be the laborers. It is going to be interesting to see how this plays out in the next 50 years of our marriage.

Tomorrow, we celebrate five years of marriage honoring our covenant that we made with God. Some things have changed, but one thing never will. I love you Becky!

2 comments:

Seth Durbin said...

You guys are super! haha. . . congrats

Mel said...

Beautiful words! As a wife myself I know how appreciative I am when Michael shares his heart. It's good when a husband can do that. We just celebrated our 21st anniversary on the 13th, it just flies by, continue to treasure every moment! Congratulations!!