Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Player-Coach: Economics

I view my role at The Bridge Community to mainly be that of a player-coach. My main function is to "equip the saints for the work of ministry." I do this by giving instruction while being in the heat of the battle myself. I am not standing on the sidelines shouting out, I'm literally bleeding in the same battle every other minister/missionary (child of God at the Bridge Community) is.

A part of my "equipping" ministry is to lay a firm foundation which is Jesus Christ and God's word. At the Bridge, we are constantly providing avenues for disciples of Christ to be grown. I as well try to be very incarnational and model a life that is based on Christ's firm foundation. We believe in the sufficiency of Jesus Christ and the Bible. A second part of my "equipping" ministry is to prepare/train others. We provide avenues for everyone to discover and find their gifting, provide specialized training, and use cell families/gap for mobilization. We view our Sunday celebration as a time to prepare our community to be missionaries in their neighborhoods engaging culture with the gospel.

I would be wrong to neglect that a part of my player-coach role deals with mending and restoring. This week I will focus on equipping our community to be priests to one another in this aspect individually and through cell. But now to be frank, a lot of disciples need to fix what is broken in their finances.

Remember, I am in this same battle. At The Bridge we use Crown Biblical Financial Training as a tool to equip and mend/restore financial situations. Please check out their website here. http://www.crown.org/ . We offer the Crown Biblical Financial study once a year - but we will offer it more often if we must. It is time to reduce debt, and free up God's resources to be used for God's kingdom. Too many disciples have not heeded Biblical financial principles and have now become servants to a lender just as Proverbs 22:7 has warned.

Here is where I stand as a player-coach in this battle. I currently have two mortgages. We moved into a nicer home for an exceptional price. We viewed this as our long-range family home, but we did not sale our other house. We instead began renting it and now we wish that we would have sold it. We have a choice to make. We can rent it out again or sit on it until it sales. We are seeking God's face and committing to him to reduce debt and to help other disciples reduce debt as well. Why? Debt hampers a disciple's ability to bring the Kingdom of God to their surroundings. It imprisons, entraps, and destroys.

Will you commit to reducing debt? With the debt that you now have, what could the same amount of resources have done for God's kingdom in your own neighborhood for the glory of God?

No comments: