Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I'm going on a mission trip!


Hi, my dearly loved friends and family!

I wanted to share some exciting news with you… I am going on a mission trip to Nicaragua this summer! I’ll be leaving the comfort of my family and home from July 21 – July 29 to help with Project Chacocente!

What is Project Chacocente?

Project Chacocente moves families from the city dump of Managua, Nicaragua to the clean air and fertile soil of rural Masaya, where the people learn skills for living independently. The families sign a contract promising to "work" with the project for five years, at which time they will receive the house they build and about two acres of land. Working with us means learning to read and write, to build, to farm, to solve problems, to govern themselves, to be more knowledgeable parents, and to start a small business.

The goal is to reintroduce the families into a society in which they have not participated in many years, and to teach them the skills they need to be self-sufficient. Literally, the project takes people out of one culture and shows them how to live in another.

This is a non-profit Chrisitian organization bringing hope to people who literally live on a dump. I’ll be working the land, painting, constructing, and teaching the Bible the best I can.

We are also taking a medical missions team with us. Dr. Jon Bird is leading this portion of the trip. Our medical team will set up a free clinic and deliver healthcare to the people. This is going to be awesome!

Obviously, this takes cash. It needs lots of prayer more than cash. Currently there are 26 of us going on the mission. We are each asked to raise $1600 a piece to cover our expenses and also to help pay for medical supplies.

I want to ask you to pray. Just pray. Pray as often as you can for this trip. If God asks you to worshipfully give, I would greatly appreciate it. But do it only if God leads.

As you pray, visit http://www.outofthedump.org

One awesome note I want to mention. On Sunday July 27th at The Bridge I am going to do a live interview in service from Nicaragua. I feel that God is going to have something special to say on that day. Keep it in your prayers.

In God’s Love,
Ben Durbin

1 comment:

Jessica Sanford said...

Ben-- I will definitely be praying for you and the team you are going with. I will also be praying for the people that you are going to minister to! (I'll also pass this on to the group I'm leading so that we can all be praying for you!) What a fantastic opportunity!