Friday, April 11, 2014

"Here it is Lord, my shell collection."

Bridge Family, 
This Sunday we end our time in the book of Galatians together by wrestling with the question, "What do you boast in?" This will be the fourteenth and final sermon from the book.  Please gather with us this Sunday as we close out our series, "Living Free!"
Why? 
This section of scripture contains one of the most important messages that a Christian can ever hear on daily living. Paul shows us how to live free from the trappings of this present world. We will see that the Christian's life is to be driven by one thing; the cross of Christ.
But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. (Galatians 6:14 ESV)
So, what's with the title of this blog you may ask? As I study for this passage, I can still hear the words of John Piper ringing in my ears from a sermon he delivered at a Passion One Day Conference in Memphis, TN in the year 2000 for college students. The title of the message was "Boasting Only in the Cross." It later became fleshed out in one of his books, "Don't Waste Your Life." A few years later, a friend gave me this message and it challenged me to question the validity of the dreams that I had for my life and submit them to God.
I am sharing with you a section of this sermon today for you to view before coming to our gathering this Sunday. You can watch the clip below. I also wanted to challenge you to just listen to the message without pressing back. I know some may say, I don't like Piper because he has said this or that or the way he talks about _____ (insert whatever you want here). But, let's be honest...I don't even like some of the things that come out of my own mouth sometimes. Simply check this out and let it check you before coming. It is about eight minutes long.
I hope to see you this Sunday. 
What do we boast in? May it be said of us that we boast only in the cross of Christ!



"Here it is Lord, my shell collection." - John Piper