Monday, April 18, 2011

Psalm 16 and God's Goodness

A quick look at how the Psalmist in Psalm 16 believed that God is good so we don't have to look elsewhere.

1 Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge.

God is good so we don’t have to look elsewhere for refuge.

2 I say to the LORD, "You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you."

There is nowhere else to look for good but in God!

3 As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight.

God let’s his goodness shine through his community.

4 The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply; their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out or take their names on my lips.

God alone is good and other gods only lead to sorrow.

5 The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot.

God is good so we don’t have to look elsewhere for a portion of good!

6 The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.

God is good so we need not look elsewhere for sovereignty or for inheritance.

7 I bless the LORD who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me.

God is good so we don’t have to look elsewhere for counsel or instruction.

8 I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.

God is good so we don’t have to look elsewhere for a path or direction.

9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure.

God is good so we don’t have to look elsewhere for gladness.

God is good so we don’t have to look elsewhere for security.

10 For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption.

God is good so we don’t have to look elsewhere for a future.

11 You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

God is good so we don’t have to look elsewhere for eternal pleasure!

No comments: