Friday, January 16, 2009

The Gospel as Discipleship

I recently read "The Centrality of the Gospel" by Tim Keller. I must admit, I've been doing a lot of repenting over the last few months/year. I am pretty sure that I allowed unhealthy, un-Biblical teachings and thoughts, creep into life and influence my teaching. I am not about to give a list of people, things, or methods here...so too bad if you are pridefully wishing for a list to boost your ego. Here is where I got way off.

I thought that the Gospel was only for Non-Christians.

I repent.

No program changes people. God changes people through the Gospel of Jesus Christ. End of discussion. This is God-centered, Bible-centered, Jesus-centered, and of course Gospel centered.

I had never thought about the Gospel being used as intense discipleship. Basically, I was taught that to be a disciple you had to "do better, try harder" to meet the expectations of Church. I really think that I had a blaring idol in my heart that was anything but Jesus Christ. It was religion and etc... I mean, I had heard people quote that line "no program changes people" over and over again.. but still didn't get it! BTW - I think most who say that still don't get it. They just say it for show and pretense... um.. to get amens.

Check out these excerpts from Keller on "The Centrality of the Gospel."

We are not justified by the gospel and then sanctified by obedience, but the gospel is the way we grow (Gal.3:1-3) and are renewed (Col.1:6). It is the solution to each problem, the key to each closed door, the power through every barrier (Rom.1:16-17). It is very common in the church to think as follows. "The gospel is for non-Christians. One needs it to be saved. But once saved, you grow through hard work and obedience." But Col.1:6 shows that this is a mistake. Both confession and "hard work" that is not arising from and "in line" with the gospel will not sanctify you--it will strangle you. All our problems come from a failure to apply the gospel. Thus when Paul left the Ephesians he committed them "to the word of his grace, which can build you up" (Acts 20:32)

then later on...


A whole new way of seeing life
Paul shows us, then, that we must not just simply ask in every area of life: “what is the moral way to act?” but “what is the way that is in-line with the gospel?” The gospel must be continually “thought out” to keep us from moving into our habitual moralistic or individualistic directions. We must bring everything into line with the gospel.


All of life is repentance and exposing darkness to the light. All of life is repenting and becoming in line with the Gospel.

No comments: